Sunday, December 4, 2016

Make a Fastboot Cable

Summary


A fastboot, or factory, cable is one that allows certain devices (smartphones, kindles) to be placed in fastboot, or factory, mode for programming. If you've arrived here, you're interested in creating your own cable from electronic scraps lying around, rather than shelling out the $$ to buy it. I also created my own cable. This article is not going to recreate the "wheel" so to speak. There are multitudes of resources out there that guided me in creating my own. I will simply link back to what I used to guide me. I will, however, list some pointers for those who are new to soldering. Keep in mind that this method will only save you money if you already own the required hardware OR plan on doing more electronics projects beyond creating a fastboot cable.



Required Guides


  • Usb reference
  • Wire reference
  • This video gives a pretty good explanation with some drawings.
  • This video @ 5:25, gives a good reference on where the wires should be soldered.

Required Hardware



Optional Hardware (VERY helpful)



Tips/Suggestions


  • Remember to add flux to the wires and tin them
  • Remember to add flux to the usb pads and tin them
  • The wires and pads are TINY. The helpings hands are VERY helpful
  • Did I mention to tin the wires and pads? Trust me, it will save a LOT of frustration
  • The Hakko solder station is awesome! Save some frustration with $20 irons and get the Hakko.

My Semi-Finished Fastboot Cable


This picture is of my fastboot cable after I finished soldering it all together. I finished it off by "wrapping" in liquid electrical tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment